Thursday, March 31, 2011

Dear Christian School and Non Christian school graduates

I’m a product of Christian school. I grew up in the church. It’s an open book that is so open that those facts are virtually ignored by everyone that knows me as a friend or by name. I’ll be forever grateful that I graduated from that school. I’ll be forever honored and privileged to be a part of that batch of graduate (not in the boastful, arrogant sense of the word, but in a school spirit sense of the word). Christian education was used by God for me to be led to the Lord Jesus Christ.

However, I don’t know about you, fellow note readers and bloggers especially graduates of Christian school, but one of the strong negative statements that have haunted (exaggeration intended to create attention) me are the following statements or anything similar to this: graduates of Christian school, especially those who grew up in the church, are a bunch of ignoramus, not in the intellectual sense, but in the “outside world” sense. To add insult to the injury, the young and single professional Church attenders who were never products of any Christian school, are both directly and indirectly proving Christian school graduates that they’re more street smart just because they are, well in the “outside world”. More often than not, they’re proven right, even without trying (general viewpoint please, don’t be specific).

Is it a sense of pride for some if we’re so called ignoramus, not knowing the “outside world” and they’re these street smart individuals? The reason for these street smart, is because a portion of the graduates of Christian school are not in the ministry, stay-in or stay-out. One person I heard even mentioned that if they fell, they fell big time. One even stated that if they fell into sin, not only they can rationalize why, but also can’t accept the fact that they have fallen. Not only that, a Christian school graduate doesn’t only lack street smart characteristics, they’re generally closed minded.

Now, I’ll never justify any wrong deeds done by a fellow Christian school graduate and even my own wrong deeds. Most of us are guilty of misdoings, mischievous acts, which are usually being done by teenagers. If a Christian school graduate falls into sins like fornication and/or was subjected to severe or even moderate discipline, I’m one of those first people who are sad…TRULY. However, let’s put things in its proper perspective. Teenagers are teenagers. Graduates became individuals when they go out of the institution. Do you blame Philippine Military Academy (PMA) for the corruption at Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) that is being inquired right now by the Senate? Not entirely you may say, even if most of the senior officers are PMA graduates.

Foolishness is bound in the heart of the child, the Bible says. It’s not the Christian school’s fault if the graduate is itching his or her way out of “Alcatraz”. This “itching” attitude is something internal in nature, not external forces. About being ignoramus, like my fellow graduate and my former mentor said, I think otherwise. Christian school students are taught, not indoctrinated. Christian school students go home after the class, they’re not hermits or monks.

I can go on and on and on, but it will be pointless. Let’s just look at the bright side, those who stay eventually become Pastors, preachers, deacons, active lay workers. Even if that graduate becomes a prodigal son, the Word of God will never go away from him or her. It will be his or her compass, even if he or she will never admit due to certain ecclesiastical hatred.

As I writer, I don’t want to be misunderstood and misquoted on this one. This is not my own statement, although the evaluative statement is my own doing. It’s a summary of numerous statements of different people whom yours truly have encountered.

I’ll repeat the first paragraph as an ending: I’m a product of Christian school. I grew up in the church. It’s an open book that is so open that those facts are virtually ignored by everyone that knows me as a friend or by name. I’ll be forever grateful that I graduated from that school. I’ll be forever honored and privileged to be a part of that batch of graduate (not in the boastful, arrogant sense of the word, but in a school spirit sense of the word). Christian education was used by God for me to be led to the Lord Jesus Christ.

No comments: