Wednesday, May 12, 2010

God created us unique

God created us unique from one another. Thus, we can’t strictly compare one person to another, even if they’re identical twins, even if they’re part of a specific family or clan.

On that note, I’ll tell you that I am my own person. Yes, I am similar to my parents or my brother, but I, just like all of us, am unique.

For years, yours truly have struggled to be just like others. Yeah, just like others. In my high school years, I strive to be an athlete, because girls go gaga over athletes. Because of that, I learned how to play basic basketball, but not competitive basketball. After all, I’m an academic guy (not a genius; my IQ’s not even 141). Still though, because of that, I learned the sport. I tried learning the street language…just to be like others (and some Christian students at that time are so proud they know this and that, things like slangs, foul language, etc, looking back, isn’t it humorously sickening). I’m not good in the language and the parliament of the streets, but at least I have learned most of the terminologies. I have tried to blend in. In some extent, I succeeded, but who I am really shows.

Especially during that dark past (2006-2008), I already embraced my uniqueness. Especially during graduate school, I have accepted that I am a geek. This is not boastfulness (as some have put it for years of so-called knowing me); this is acceptance. This is contentment. God made me this way. The wrong things that I’ve done are not justified, but it indicates how I, just like all of us, need God. God gave me the gifts and flaws (physical) that I have right now. I am 5’6”, I am 180 lbs. I am chubby and I have a fat belly. Yes, I can do some gym workout to lose those fats, but for the mean time, this is me. I tend either to stutter or lisp, and so are Rowan Atkinson, Winston Churchill, Lewis Carroll (Alice in Wonderland), Julia Roberts, and Ron Harper. I am hyperactive, and so are Michael Jordan, Magic Johnson, Bill Cosby, Jim Carrey, and Michael Phelps. My laughter is different; I laugh easily. I felt the ridicule of others on this. I am quite affected by this before, but now? Let me share what I learned: to laugh because someone joked is better than not laugh at all (IT’S AN INSULT TO THE SPEAKER or THE JOKER). To laugh oddly is better than to stab someone’s back and spread gossips and latest inside news (besides, I am a man; I don’t do that). You may outwit me on all of these posts or gave me an indifferent treatment just to prove something, but it’s now irrelevant.

Nope, I’m not lining myself up with the famous people I mentioned. Instead, by accepting my limitations and my weaknesses, I have accepted the other half of me, thus accepting that I am my own person.
If you can’t accept your physical, emotional, and even spiritual limitations, definitely you’ll never accept other people’s limitations. Thus, you will never be an effective teacher. You’ll be a good campaign manager, promoter, but you’ll never be an effective counselor. Worst, you’ll not be a good friend. Why? Rebuke to a friend must be coupled with acceptance. With these statements, I can’t help but think that the more harsh your back stabbings, criticisms are to others’ flaws, the more deep your issues are within yourself (silence is no exception). It’s so deep you want to cover it by talking about others.

My friends and brethren, accept who you are. What you can change, change. If you don’t want it in a hurry, minimize. What you can’t change for now, pray and surrender it to God. If you are eccentric, accept your eccentricities. Accept the geek in you. God made you like that for a reason.

No comments: