Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Two jobs...by choice, not by necessity

I am holding two jobs, one in the office, and one as a part time faculty in a college. It is tiring. Not only that, there are times the schedules of both are conflicting. I do office on a full time basis, and, like I said, I teach on a part time basis. I teach Statistics and Economics. Not only that, when the school has a major event, I am usually tapped to help them. Being the lone Mathematician, I am assigned as a Statistician on undergraduate theses. Also, when seminars are held, I do the statistics of the survey questions that were being passed after the talks.
I do teaching just to keep me sane. Like Dr. Onofre Pagsanjan of Ateneo once said on national television, “If I don’t teach, I will die.” I do office to keep me in reality check. I do teaching because I wanted to express my opinions and ideas (it’s another story if those opinions and ideas are crazy or intelligent). Because of my schedule, I can no longer do full time teaching. (The very reason why I wanted to finish my doctoral is for me to have a wider selection of schools and schedule in order to have more time with my family, loved ones and church. Graduate students all know that most Graduate professors appear in school only during either weeknights or weekends).

It’s a conscious choice on my part to be busy. I followed my Mom’s advice to have another job in order for me to use this energy, instead of just mere hanging out. It’s a conscious choice to be busy. This is a good way of avoiding any issues. It keeps from indulging in gossips and senseless crab mentalities (although there are people who will say that they don’t need to be busy just to avoid joining in gossips. It’s like implying that they’re that good. I think that THEY ARE TOO PROUD every time they say that!)

During Saturday, Amie, who is from Cavite, and I will have our date. After our date, I will drive Amie to her house in Cavite. I usually come home very late. Because of this schedule, I am usually sleepy when attending the church, especially during the morning service. This is the reason why, despite of occasional added expenses on gas, I went home and sleep for about 30 minutes or an hour. Occasionally, I am assigned to be the song leader, which I also love doing (since it’s one of my first ministries).

Despite of this busy schedule, I can still talk to fellow believers. I can still smile, greet, and briefly chat (even at times long conversation) with both co-members and visitors.

On the other side of the coin, it is quite sad that there are believers that have no time to be warm to fellow believers. They’re too busy? I have told you my schedule. They’re not friendly? Well, I don’t say they must force themselves to be friendly. If they can’t be friendly, they can just be warm and nice. Individual differences? That’s more like it. You may have justified or have opinions why there believers who are like that. I will accept it, but I hope you also accept mine.

Why am I saying these things? Just like normal Christian professionals, I also have a schedule to keep. God may have given me the privilege on certain blessings, but it’s a privilege. We still need the wisdom, strength, and time to manage it. It is by God’s grace why, at the end of the day, the whole week is fine. People who say that I was “born with a silver spoon” (nice one, but it’s a wrong metaphor) and they’re too busy (and they BADLY NEED IT, unlike me allegedly who chose to be busy) to do such stuff are just too proud to admit that they’re wrong on this area.
My point? It is a conscious decision on my part for me to be busy. However, it is also a conscious decision on my part to still be approachable, friendly, and warm. If I look intimadating, you are looking at the wrong direction and with a wrong attitude. It also a conscious decision on my part to take time to listen or have a conversation with a friend/s/co-members. Now, modesty aside (for people who call this boastful), I have proven that one can be busy as a professional, but still be friendly inside the church. Reasons why you’re being a snub are all lame excuses, and having a defender/s is another way of saying, “come on, let’s justify this wrong thing”. Either admit that you’re really a snob and talk only to selected few or admit that you don’t “feel” the person.

God will always give someone the strength to be warm to fellow believers despite the hectic schedule. Why will Paul mention to be kind and tender hearted to fellow believers if we can’t do it in the first place? Why will Paul mention not to forsake the assembling of ourselves (assembly – “a meeting TOGETHER of parts”) together? We can be busy and warm. We can do it not through sheer will power (but it will help), but, most especially, by God’s grace. Just like being filled with the Holy Spirit, it is also our choice if we’ll God to work in our life in this area of Christian living.

No comments: