Thursday, September 10, 2009

Learning on death

A student of mine died recently. Pneumonia is the caused of death. I was supposed to conduct a film showing for the class for the application of Probability. However, because of the situation, I decided to postpone it.

Death reminds me that is an appointment you can never refuse. It was clearly stated in Hebrews 9:27. We can make excuses to turn down appointments, but death? No. In addition, death, just like God, is no respecter of persons. It will surely happen to everyone, be it rich or poor, small or great, tall or short, pretty or not-that-pretty. Being a Baptist and a person who grew up in the Baptist setting, I can’t help but think if the person is truly saved or not. Death is quick, thus the phrase “the quick and the dead”.

However, one of the more significant things that enters my head when someone dies is the word “forgiveness”. This is one of the good reasons why disagreements need to be settled as soon as possible. Why? We don’t know when will be the last time you’ll talk to that person. Honestly, I’m sad when I see a person not forgiving another person, especially if the mistake is not that much of a big deal.

Another one that enters my head is if I do something good or bad to that person before he or she dies. Honestly, I don’t talk that much to the student. Maybe because she’s not talking too much in my class. However, that student struck me as a nice person, not a snob. She’s not friendly, but she’s nice. Even in my bad days, I greet and smile when I see my students, including her. Good thing one of the last things that I did to her is smile (I always smile in the class).

This is the very reason why we must not be much of a snob to a person, even if we woke up at the wrong side of the bed. You’ll never know when is the last time you’ll see her or him alive. This is the very reason why friends should not have long term hatred to each other. If it is possible, they should try to forgive before the day ends. After all, are you so sure that by tomorrow morning, he or she is still there for you? This is the very reason why we should show our appreciation to our parents while they’re here. We should give them flowers, or a hug, or a smile, or a simple I LOVE YOU. You’ll never know when is the last time you’ll see her or him alive. It’s a good thing that Kris Aquino have reconciled with her Mom (Former President Cory Aquino) long before she got cancer. I can still remember my former chairperson. Because of some misunderstanding, she never speaks to me in a light manner. She always finds fault on me after that. When I didn’t renew my contract to teach in that school, every time I visit the school, I’ll greet her, even if she’s FORCED to greet me. After one year (2005), she said that she have forgiven me. The good thing? She also said “I’m sorry”. It is such a good thing. I can still remember that what made her forgive and ask forgiveness to me at the same time is because I still greet her even if I know that she hates me. Then, just this year, she died of cancer. Honestly, when she died, I have no feeling of regret. After all, we settle it long before she died.

However, after all of this lengthy post, here’s the most significant thing that enters my head: is she saved? Death is an appointment you can never refuse. There only two destinations: heaven or hell. The Only Way to Heaven? Jesus Christ. How? By asking forgiveness for your sins and being repentant. Then, accept Him as your Lord and Savior. Sounds preachy? It never hurts to try, my friend.

Death indeed is also a learning experience.

No comments: