Saturday, May 23, 2009

Focusing to the One

In order for God to give something to someone, one must not put too much focus on his request. Instead, one should put his focus to Whom he made known his request: God. Matthew 6:33 said that we must seek God’s kingdom first (meaning, put God first). One should not focus his eyes on what he wants, but what is needed to be done first. This is also applicable on interactions with other people, especially towards the opposite sex.
I opened my post in this manner because of the pattern of my experiences, and also of others that I know. It was January 2009 when I went to the University just to ask how’s my graduation paper. That time, my obsession to graduate has wavered. I just focused my eyes on other things. Guess what? It was at the time that my Chairman said that I should apply for graduation. Another experience: I applied to become a member of MENSA. Back then, I am so excited to be a member. However, when I received the letter saying that I didn’t make it, I cried (yes, I cried). From 2007 to 2009, I just put away my focus from that. Then recently, I saw a society similar to Mensa, Mysterium Society. I took their exam. Guess what? I made it! I passed to become a member of that kind of society at the time that I am not that excited. Recently, I said to myself that I’ll semi-retire on being an independent cartoonist. Then comes Summer Komikon.
In dealing with the opposite sex, I notice this pattern: girls tend to like guys that talk less to them. No, I don’t mean snobbish guys are more desirable to girls than friendly guys. I mean guys who talk less to girls. It’s like giving them a slice of cake, but not the whole cake. That’s why there are guys that don’t talk much; it’s their style, not really who they are.
I have read the Bible a number of times. However, I still can’t help, but ask questions. Is this some kind of a joke? I mean that means that in order to have something that you wanted, you must ignore it? This maybe funny or any negative stuff, but I have asked this stuff: does God give the request more to the “pakipot” than those who vocally says he wanted it?
However, as days go by, it’s making perfect sense to me. The Bible itself answered my question. God is a Jealous God as Exodus 20 said. If He sees that your request puts your attention away from Him, He’ll not give it to you. After all, God can give you more than your request. Besides, putting your focus on your request rather to the One Who has the power to grant your request is idolatry.
Another thing to consider is that Satan is so insecure (after all, he’s condemned already) that he will make a way on people that ignore him and his devices to put their attention to him. Satan is the ultimate “KSP”. Summer Komikon is my personal example. When I made a decision that I will semi-retire (I even said this to Amie), I made a significant sale on my comics. I received a fan art (I appreciate it by the way. Thanks, Hazel Manzano). I’m attending Komikon since 2007. It was in this year (when I declare semi-retirement) that the Komikon is a good year for me. Why is that so? I believe because when I semi-retire, I will now have more time on spiritual matters like Bible study and soul winning, which Satan hates.
These two truths: God being a Jealous God (because He has something more in store to the believers) and Satan’s insecurity is the reason why I must not put my focus too much on my request. All I must do is made known my request to God, and let God provide it in His own time, not mine. Put my focus more to God than my request. Leave the results to God. As believers, let’s just do what is needed to be done as Christians.

No comments: