Tuesday, March 24, 2009

To my fellow graduates...

Last Saturday, March 21, I am officially a graduate of Philippine Normal University. Technically, I am considered graduate last May 2008 (as my transcripts say so). I opted to formalize my graduating by marching.
The commencement speaker was Senator Manuel A. Roxas II or Mar Roxas for short. The Senator is still good looking in his 50’s.
However, unlike my graduation in Adamson, I didn’t finish the ceremonies, because Mom and Amie wanted to go out. After all, it’s getting late (the graduation started around 4 or 4:30PM, and, aside from PNU President Atty. Lutgardo Barbo’s introduction, Senator Roxas’ speech, the valedictory address, the 1000+ names of the graduates will be called. Just imagine how long will it take). I admit though that the graduation is not as exciting as my last graduation back in Adamson. The positive side is that I graduated in PNU’s graduate program.
Some of my classmates are not finished yet with their graduate studies. Others stopped for one reason or another. Others are still awaiting comprehensive exam results. Others failed their comprehensive exam twice and is awaiting to enroll the Thesis course (just like Amie). I’m one of the youngest who graduated in my batch (under the graduate program); I am 28 years old. Those facts alone are enough reason to be thankful to God that He allowed me to graduate.
Mom, Amie, and I ate in a hotel. I don’t like the food that much. On a positive note, it’s not the food; it’s the company of my Mom and Amie that I like at that time.
I really thank God for giving me this blessing of graduating in a graduate program. Why not? After all, looking back in my undergraduate years, I never expected to enter graduate school (I just want a Bachelor’s degree). Looking back in my basic education years, I am not competitive as a student. I don’t compete for grades. While other students rush to our teacher to complain in their score in Values Education, I just sit at my chair and just do my things. Looking back in my elementary years, I was that hyperactive child. When I found out about ADHD in my later years as a student and its symptons, I assumed that I have one. One teacher described me having “my own world” (I’m not offended by that). My social skills are awful (sometimes, I still doubt that it improved significantly). Despite that, I graduated with a graduate degree. I call that grace of God. Yes, I did my part. However, God is the One Who helps me and allows me to graduate.
To the graduates out there: congratulations! Unemployment is inevitable, but hey, let’s be optimistic that things will be just fine. After all, optimism is free.

No comments: