Friday, January 30, 2009

George Takei's words on Tim Hardaway's

video

I have to admit: I don’t hate gay people. In the truest sense of the word, I am not homophobic. I am not afraid of gay people and at the same time, I don’t hate them. As a Baptist, I practice “hate the sin, not the sinner” principle (the word “sinner” applies to all human beings by the way, because no one is perfect). Still, as a Christian, my stand is what the Bible teaches: homosexuality is wrong. God created only male and female. I’m not playing self-righteous here by the way. On behalf of the Baptist people, I’m sorry for giving gay guys the wrong approach on our right stand.

I put that paragraph as an introduction. The real deal is this: I got a video in which George Takei is it. Yes, the one who portrayed Sulu in the first Star Trek. He’s gay by the way, and he plays Kaito Nakamura, Hiro Nakamura’s stern father in Heroes. To tell you honestly, I don’t agree with what he’s standing for. However, I admire his approach on Tim Hardaway’s statement that he hates gay people. Guys and gals, he taught one lesson on how to deal with critics. Yes, he is gay. Yes, homosexuality is Biblically wrong (I’m not being a Zealot here). However, instead fighting fire with fire, he confronted criticism in a classy, humorous way. I admit, I still need to figure how to deal with my critics in a humorous way.

Christians are supposed to be the one who deal critics in a humorous, but not foolish, way. After all, we should have a good testimony when it comes to anger management. Instead of being angry with critics of true Christianity, why not deal it with humor? I know it’s easier said than done. I tend to be reactive at times, but at least, it’s worth a try.

No comments: