Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Me @ 28 last August 4

Exactly 8 days before today, August 12, it was my birthday. Actually, like most bloggers out there, I like to type something about my birthday. However, I have told many people that I’m not the type who broadcast my birthday. No, don’t get me wrong. I am happy when people gave me a birthday greeting. It’s just that despite of my talkative personality, I still have that sense of privacy in me. Now, when someone asks me about my birthday, I will answer them truthfully. When no one is asking, I will not say it.

Mom gave me a treat last Monday in one of those places in Makati City. I was with AC, his wife Sarah, his daughter Ocean, and sweet close friend Amie. Mom was happy when I was with that sweet girl. Actually, a week ago, I bought a guitar for myself (through Mom’s credit card). I also bought for myself a pair of sneakers and something that I wanted to buy since few months ago – a pen tablet by Wacom. I bought the guitar in order for me to sing with it inside the church. After all, I have promised to myself to practice playing guitar at the later half of this year (and other talents, like flute and drawing comic strips). I bought a pen tablet for drawing comic strips.

A day before my birthday, I gave the youngsters and the married people in the New Church a birthday treat. What I like with the members in the new church? They enjoyed the treat and the fellowship. My assistant leader gave me a shirt for a gift. (By the way, sweet girl Amie gave me a Christian shirt). I enjoyed small things like that.

By the way, I’m 28 years old. My birthday wishes? Of course, to go back to the Old Church and finally settle things AND state my side of the story there before the Old Church Pastor declares the case CLOSED (many usually say that past is past, but that is wrong if only ONE SIDE is heard). It has always been one of my wishes since 2006. Another wish is of course, long full life filled with fulfillment and happiness. Many say that God blessed me and my family, and I’m thankful to God for that. However, deep within me still has the need for fulfillment. Ever since I resigned from teaching, I was not as fulfilled now as before. Praise God for He used the youth and music ministry for me to have that sense of fulfillment. My ministry in the church as a youth president is one of the main reasons why I try to overcome my inner struggles. However, deep within me, I believe there is something more. I just don’t want to be emotional and take a plunge. To tell you honestly, I still want to teach, and I’m happy doing it. Many people are saying otherwise. Another birthday wish is to graduate finally from graduate school.

My birthday, unlike most of my birthday celebrations, were not celebrated with so many youngsters greeting you with cards and giving “touchy-feeling” messages (hehehehe). My birthday is not as high profile as it used to be back in the Old Church. In fact, even in the new church, my birthday is celebrated by food, no special programs whatsoever. Back in the old church, there came a point that I’ll celebrate my birthday many times in one week! Though this is a far cry in how I celebrate my birthday back in the Old Church, the humbling celebration of my current birthday is my happier birthday celebrations.

A 19-year-old friend and co-member in bobongpinoy once said to me, “don’t just grow old; grow up!” It is true. I’ll take her word for that. Still though, I’ll not “force mature” myself. I’ll learn maturity one step at a time, even if others will call me “immature” because of that. I’ll still aspire to learn. I’ll still aspire to improve what I wanted to improve.

I’m thankful for my birthday. God gave me blessings other people are still aspiring to get. God has been so gracious to me. There are other people that were not given the chance to reach their 28th birthday. Thank you very much, Lord God, for another year added to my life.

No comments: