Friday, July 4, 2008

Isn't it ironic, don't you think?

“Isn’t it ironic, don’t you think?”

Yes, that’s part of one of the songs of Alanis Morissette. If my memory is right, it was during my either my junior or senior high school year when it was first aired. Anyway, this is not the post on Alanis’ song. The word is irony. Yes, irony or the “incongruity between the actual and expected result”. Oops, I think the theoretical definition did more than good. Anyway, like I said, it’s about irony.

I am no sage, nor seer. I’m not even a member of Mensa (I’m not qualified, thanks). However, I have seen ironies in my life of 27 years (when I posted this)…and they are usually called “plantsa” in Tagalog. Seriously and without the dry humor, some of the ironies I know I learned from the Bible, which I eventually experience or encounter. Some of the ironies I learned from first hand encounter (especially dealing with opposite gender). Well, you may have your other opinion, but let me tell you this: all of these are experiential, not only theoretical.

1) It is more blessed to give than to receive – a similar term is “the more you give, the more you receive”. I have learned this first hand. Usually, in order to gain, you must take, take, and take, right? But life says “wrong”. Look around you. Plants give oxygen. Humans and animals give (by excreting well, you know). How many times have I seen people not blessed by God because of selfishness? On the other hand, I have seen generous people, giving to the point of sacrificing. Yet, even if they have no more to give, they still have ways in order to give. Why? Because God is a generous God. This is not only irony, but also the nature of God.
2) The way “up” is “down” – Aside from God-given talent, one will surely go up by going down. It means a humble person will be promoted. I have seen people in the Old Church, they’re the usual behind the scenes, but now they are pastors. I have seen organization members who is humble and low key, a year or two later, he or she is the President of that Org. Thus, other people use this style in order to be promoted. You know, the “humble effect”. They’ll behave as if they’re low profile, yet proud in their hearts. Still though, only God can judge who aspires humility and who feigns it; it’s not for me to judge.
3) Destroy your enemies by making them your friends – Abraham Lincoln, as far as I can remember, stated this. Normally, especially in war, you destroy enemies by, well, destroying them. This is more of brotherly kindness. Strange and difficult, but it works. I have tried that before, it worked, but not in all people.
4) If you ignore them, they’ll approach you. Yeah, yeah, I know some of you will disagree, but like I said, it’s experiential. How many times have I seen friendly guys being snubbed by girls only to approach a low profile man at the corner of the bar? If you think there are men who felt challenged by snobbish women (to the point they’ll court those types), think again. There are women who will approach men who are ignoring them. I know of a guy who ignores one of the prettiest ladies in the church, and yet that lady tried to catch that guy’s attention. Why is this so? Maybe it will be a trophy or achievement or self-gratification, but still, I consider this ironic. That’s why there are guys who play shy type or “low profile effect”: to win the girl’s heart.
5) The more you hate, the more you love – well, this doesn’t apply to all, but this sure still exists. Have you encounter a person that you are disgusted, and eventually you began to like each other’s company?

Those are some of the ironies that I have learned. Maybe other ironies will come if my memory will allow…or if life itself will allow me to experience such.

No comments: