Monday, May 19, 2008

a former congregants' words...and my response

A few days ago, I’m browsing my friendster account. I noticed a new primary photo of one of my friendster friends. I didn’t recognize him immediately due to his new primary photos. Then, when I browsed it, I saw this message in the “who you want to meet” portion:
i want to meet ung mga tupperware (BAPTIST FRIENDS) kong friends noong unang panahon,totoo ang sabi ng former boss ko a lot there in Baptist ay hypocrite,,wala tau magagawa un ang paniniwala nya dba hehehe as for me khit anong mangyari im still a BAPTIST hehehehe,,,salamat nga pala sa mga nabibilang totoo dyan sa tabi tabi alam nyo na kung cno kau pagpapalain kau ng may Kapal. hehehetamaan wag magalit!!!

I’ll translate it English. Here it goes:

“I want to meet my Tupperware (Baptist Friends) friends. What my former boss said is right that there are a lot of Baptists who are hypocrites. It’s his opinion, and we can’t do something about it hehehehehehe. As for me, no matter what happens, I’m still a Baptist hehehehehe…thank you for those people, you know who you are, who remain true (honest, not hypocrite), may the Almighty God bless you hehehehehe. To those who were hit by this, DON’T BE ANGRY. HEHEHEHE”

“Tupperware” (derived from the same brand of PLASTIC ware product) is a Tagalog slang used to describe “hypocrites” because “plastics are not real”. (Okay, those who speak Tagalog may disagree with my translation, but in translating, there are times that you don’t translate LITERALLY WORD-FOR-WORD.)

Now, let me tell you this: hypocrites are everywhere, be it inside or outside the Baptist church. Besides, where did they learn hypocrisy? Not inside the Baptist church, but outside the Baptist church. The church leaders will never teach their members to be hypocrite. The Bible is against hypocrisy. Jesus Christ is very much against hypocrisy. Well, according to him, his former boss said that there are a lot of Baptists who are hypocrites. Yes, he said a lot of Baptists. I believed he said that because someone from the inside (him) said something negatively against Baptist people to an outsider (his former boss). Yes, it is true. There are hypocrites inside Baptist churches. However, where did they learn it? They learned it outside the Baptist church. Besides, these members only spent at least 2 hours inside the church (if a member is not attending Sunday school, prayer meeting, evening service, and fellowships), and the rest they spend OUTSIDE THE CHURCH.

Besides, they don’t have any idea who said those words. He’s a former congregant. Like me, he was excommunicated from the OLD CHURCH. Why? Fornication, but it’s the not the very reason why he was excommunicated. He’s e-mailing our former pastor and his wife, trying to get their sympathy (and also other brethren in Christ). He has also stolen some church properties (some parts of the audio system) (based on what I’ve heard, he did it after he got the information that he’s excommunicated). Not only that, he used the church telephone (long distance) doing unauthorized phone calls, using a pseudonym. I don’t know if he did any effort to patch things up with the Old Church Pastor. By the way, I didn’t mention the lies he said (he lied regarding the church phone bills, even using God’s name in vain).

Anyway, I was also excommunicated by the Old Church, what’s the difference? There are many ways we are different:

1) I committed fornication, but I talked to the Old Church Pastor regarding the matter. I tried to talk things out. The Old Church pastor understood (after another pastor, my ex’s pastor, explained to him carefully the situation). I have said this many this many times: it’s the Old Church, through the Pastor, that I’ll finally be allowed to go back if my ex-girlfriend will forgive me.
2) When I was excommunicated, they never heard my side for about a year. Even until now, only few, unbiased people really know what really happen.
3) Before I said my side, I admitted what I really did wrong.
4) I didn’t steal any church properties, even if they gave me such discipline.
5) I didn’t e-mail anyone to get their side. Yes, I e-mailed the wife of old church’s former pastor, but even she knows that I tried my best not to get sympathy. Besides, I just let her know that the reason why I’m not yet back is because I’m not yet allowed to go back.
6) He was finally excommunicated because if the church didn’t, he’ll divide the church because of his sympathy getting (just like Absalom). I was excommunicated because there is pressure to the other party’s family, not MAINLY because I will divide the crowd (never did I do such).
7) He lied. I told them the truth (if a question is asked).
8) There are also rumors of “sexual harassment” to other young church girls. I’ve been a teacher and a youth leader. I never did such ACT to these young girls.

Besides, looking at his statement, he’s also a hypocrite. Wait, when he said, “As for me, no matter what happens, I’m still a Baptist”, it is hypocrisy. Why? Look at the statements before that: “…What my former boss said is right that there are a lot of Baptists who are hypocrites. It’s his opinion, and we can’t do something about it hehehehehehe.”

There is also unconfirmed news regarding this information: he told my ex-girlfriend and her family that I’m already back in the Old Church, and he’s using this to “get to the Old Church Pastor”. If confirmed true, he didn’t only lie when he said that, he’s also planning something bad to the Old Church pastor (and also to the Old Church), and that is discord.

Oh well, I’ll just leave it that way. I just stated what I felt. If you say that you’re a part of the organization, you’re hurt every time it is being hit. In this case, if you’re saying you’re a Baptist, you’re hurt every time an outsider said something negative to the Baptist faith. You don’t nod your head and laugh sarcastically.

Yes, some of the Old Church members have their own shares of indifferences, hypocrisies, and self-righteousness, but saying those stuff in Friendster? Well, it’s hypocrisy, indifferences, and even self-righteousness.

It’s not Baptist churches who are infested with hypocrisy. Hypocrisy is one of the numerous sins being brought by members FROM OUTSIDE to INSIDE (if you know what I mean).

Look around you. Politicians do it. Celebrities do it. There are hypocrites inside schools, offices, television shows, malls, social gatherings, malls, vacation spots, etc., even in your very own community. These are the places that these so-called “Hypocritical Baptists” are spending more time than inside a Baptist church (normally, in a typical Baptist church, one usually spends around 10-12 hours a week IF he’ll attend ALL the church services in one week, including Fellowships. There are people who are called “morning service Christians” who attend only the 2 hour Sunday morning service).

Just some pointers, my friend. Please don’t be offended. Yes, I still believe that these people will change their attitude by God’s grace. God will change them as time goes by. However, give them more time. After all, these brethren spent more time outside the church than inside the church.

No comments: