Tuesday, March 25, 2008

No one's too perfect not to forgive...

No one is too perfect not to forgive, and no one is too perfect not to ask forgiveness.

Of course, the last part of that line is only applicable to humans. For the past 2 weeks or so, I always say those lines. The above words hit it all. I mean, these words talk about forgiving someone (when someone did something wrong) and asking forgiveness to someone (when you did wrong to someone). Honestly, I say these words out of experience. Each and every one of us commits mistakes, some maybe terrible mistakes. It’s just that sometimes, you were blessed (I don’t like the word “lucky”) that those around you have that kind of tolerance to your wrongdoing. Thus, you think you’re not THAT bad after all. Maybe you’re just blessed with friends that can tolerate and cover it up for you. Thus, you think you’re not THAT bad after all. Maybe you see yourself that you’re just poor…broke (sad, but true, but there are others who uses their own material poverty to justify their real foolishness. Classic). Thus, you think you’re not THAT bad after all. However, if you’ll read Romans 3:23, it says “…ALL have sinned…”. Yes, ALL. There is another Bible verse that I wanted to share: Luke 6:37.

“Judge not, and ye shall not be judged: condemn not, and ye shall not be condemned: forgive, and ye shall be forgiven.”

There is also another verse I wanted to share in this post: I John 1:9: “If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.”

There are numerous verses on forgiveness and asking forgiveness in the Bible. Yes yes yes. One can say that justice must be served. Don’t get me wrong. I believe in justice. Justice must really be served. However, while justice is being served, forgiveness must be there. If we are really knowledgeable human beings, we’ll say that forgiveness and justice are two different things. Romans 12:19-21 told us that God will repay. As true believers in Christ, our task is to forgive. Going back to look Luke 6:37, forgiveness is imperative (look at the sentence), a command with a promise.

I know that this stuff is hard to swallow. I myself find it hard to forgive at times, especially when the people who did you wrong NEVER did the OTHER half of the job (if one must ask forgiveness, one must forgive...or to put it safe, forgiving one another). It came to a point that I became bitter with people who never admitted their short comings just because I also did something wrong. However, one thing I realized first hand is that the more you hate, the more you affect other people. Most of the time, you even affect the people that is not subject of your hatred and unforgiving spirit. There are times that because of the deep-seated, unforgiving attitude, you hate almost all the people who did wrong to you (even if they did it unintentionally). Being forgiving will not help those people that did something wrong to you, it will also help you as well. I can’t imagine that a person with deep seated hatred can sleep well (unless that person is manipulative or callous. When a person’s hatred made him callous, I don’t know, God will just take care of that person).

Asking forgiveness when you did something wrong is also important. After all, repentance and confession of your sins are key ingredients before you can accept Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior. When I look at the television, I see politicians hitting right and left. I have told this before in my previous posts: it is quite rare that politicians admit their wrong doing. Even in the world we are living, asking forgiveness is becoming a rare commodity. The game is this: a person will be reprimanded from his wrong doing. Because of this, the wrong doer will dig deeper to the one who reprimanded him. If he found a fault, he will not admit his wrong doing; he’ll point a person’s short coming, just to avoid asking forgiveness. Pride. Bluntly, if you say that what I’m saying is wrong, you’re either of the two: you think you’re too perfect to forgive or you’re too perfect to ask forgiveness.

Haven’t we asked ourselves lately? I know that this sounds foolish or a waste of a time or…childish (to those older ladies who hate younger guys and just use the words “childish, immature” to justify that hate or…putting it safe…not “liking”)...or not post or forum friendly worthy of killing this topic (forum people usually do that when they’re pissed off)…hey, haven’t you asked yourself lately these questions:
1) Am I perfect?
2) Did I do/say something that offended someone (be it petty or severe), but out of fear, or pride, didn’t sincerely said, “I’m sorry/Forgive me”? (be it petty or severe).
3) Have I withheld a compliment that a person deserves because of one reason or another (fear that the person might become boastful, etc…)?
4) Have I lied to someone, even if it is just white lies or lies to protect the investments, loved ones, etc…?
5) Have you experienced rejecting/abhorring/disliking a person just because you don’t like him/her, not really because of any negative traits that he/she had (“living-and-dying-on-first-impression” attitude)?
6) If you like computer forums, have you “kill the topic” or never replied to a thread just because you’re pissed off to a person?
7) Have you ignored someone just because you have a bad day back home?
8) Have I not admitted my mistakes because I know the people who accused me of such have a malicious motive why did he accuse me of such?
And matters similar to these…

Surely, if you’re mature enough, your answer to number 1 is “no”, and one of the seven items (or items similar to them) or more are “yes”. Now, if that’s the case, then why the heck are we not that forgiving? Why the heck are we not ready to admit our real faults so that it can be corrected?

I can’t comprehend why there are people so unforgiving, yet, when you look at their life, they’re not that even good enough. There are even times that they also have a share why did those things happen to them in the first place. I admit, I’m speaking partially out of my experience, especially with what happened to me two years ago. Experience is the best teacher after all (next to Bible). Indeed, that demonstration of unforgiving spirit and hatred showed to me that it is not good NOT to forgive and NOT to ask forgiveness. I just shake my head when I see people so bitter and/or unforgiving they haven’t realized that there came a time that they committed something wrong, but because there are forgiving people around him/her, he/she seemed scot-free. If not for God’s forgiveness of our sins, what will happen to us? If God didn’t forgive us, we are totally depraved, hell-bound individuals. Then, we’ll demonstrate that kind of unforgiving attitude to others, being imperfect?


My friends and fellow believers, I’m not saying this because I’m very forgiving. At times, I’m not that forgiving also. Like you, I’m also striving to improve on the forgiveness department (as a sinner saved by grace). However, let’s just think that we are not too perfect not to forgive, and we are not too perfect not to ask forgiveness. Let’s just think that there are other people who were treated wrongfully worse than we are, yet they managed to forgive. There are others who admitted stuff worse than we are, yet managed to ask God and man forgiveness.

I hope this is challenge to everyone, including myself.

No comments: