Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Romans 8:28, “And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them that who are the called according to his purpose”.

I remember that I posted something that talk about this same topic sometime ago. Indeed, this verse is often misused.

I want to talk this topic again in another, yet in similar manner. Sometimes, that verse is also used to if a person was blessed in his ministry despite of what he had done in the past. This is very right, though the statement lacks something. I admit, an old church person (now a pastor) said this verse to me. However, he said it without adding further. Still though, he is right when he said that what happened is “a case of Romans 8:28”. However, that doesn’t mean that what they did to me is absolutely right, and I am an absolute wrong. Yes, I might have done those shortcomings, but I am not absolutely wrong all the time in this aspect. The things that were said and done to me after this may be the consequences of my actions, but that doesn’t necessarily mean all of those actions are right. However, I still find the discipline itself that was imposed on me is fair enough.

Okay, enough of the “pleasantries”. After all, if I dig further, I may just utter written words that I will regret. I believe God put that verse in the Bible because one way or another, a believer will encounter some sort of unfairness. For example, Joseph the Dreamer (no please, I’m waaay far to Joseph, if you know what I mean. I’ll just use him as an example) was thrown by his brothers to the pit out of envy. In Egypt, he was imprisoned by Potiphar for Potiphar’s wife cried rape (which is not true). Moving fast forward, he became governor of Egypt because he interpreted Pharaoh’s dreams. Like the old church pastor said, “from pit, to Potiphar’s house, to prison, and finally, to the palace”. People have been unfair with Joseph. Name them. His envious brothers, Potiphar, Potiphar’s wife, and the Butler (for not saying Joseph’s unfair case immediately to the authorities. Good thing he showed repentance by telling Pharaoh that Joseph interprets dreams) have treated him not quite well, if not in an unfair manner. Thus, this event in Joseph’s life is an epitome of Romans 8:28. By the way, like I always say, this verse is not applicable if you’re not serving God.

I believe that God put that verse because He is FAIR and JUST. I will not mention what is my implication on that. However, one thing is sure: I have done my best to fix the matter. What comes after is no longer in my hands (if it is or if there is knowledge of what to do, I should have done it in the first place, just to set it right WITH THE OLD CHURCH). Human beings as we are, we are prone to biases and being unfair, no matter how hard we try to be fair. That’s why it is very right that time (for there are events that will transpire in that time frame to prove critics either right or wrong) AND a broad mind (Narrow minded people don’t see events it that way, especially if they are proven wrong) will reveal things.

No comments: