Thursday, November 22, 2007

My Komikon 2007 Experience part 2

Just like what I have promised, I’ll have more Komikon stories. Actually, I wanted to do it yesterday, but something’s wrong with my computer. Now, I’m back to tell my experiences there.

The only meal that I had during that whole affair is this. It’s hard to eat out because I don’t have a companion to take care of my things. Although both Bien and Gio promised to take care of it, I want to be considerate to them.

This is Azrael. If my information is accurate, he’s the one that made Toy Convention (Toycon) possible. He’s taking pictures when I called and introduce myself in my “deviant” name. He was surprised. He took a picture of the tiangge, bought a copy of my work. For me, I find event organization as his forte. I like his energy in sharing the events that he organized or co-organized.

This is Kwame (I don’t know the spelling), 3rd year Fine Arts student in UP-Diliman. She looks boyish, but don’t be fooled, she’s sort of a kikay, and she’s cool to be with. Actually, she is Beng’s friend. I have a great time chatting with her. Oh, by the way, she gave me a Tootsie lollipop. Honestly, for the first time after I think 2-3 years, I have tasted a lollipop. Hehehehehe.

Beng and I are quite bored, that’s why, while sucking that lollipop Kwame gave to me, I acted like a gay guy while Beng acted like a gay gal. Heheheheheheh. I do admit, I tend to be hyperactive.

This one is Vivo (on your left), former schoolmate at University of the East (UE) and also fellow mountaineer. She was surprised to see me. She bought a copy and told me that she’ll show this to the UEM (UE Mountaineers) people.

Meet Maku (the one with black tie and a white shirt), a seatmate in the tiangge. I described her artwork as poetic and dramatic. I bought a copy of her work. We didn’t talk that much because she and her friends are quite busy (I dubbed them the black and white ladies because their outfits are mainly black and white).

This one is Syeri Baet (the gal with a pair of glasses), the creator of Carpool, she did the emcee chore in the event. For the record, she is the first (if my research is right) lady cartoonist who sold a folio type compilation independently. Go girl!

In this picture, I’m with Lyndon Gregorio, creator of Beerkada. I can say he’s one of my major influences in comic strips (although I first had an idea of writing stories in Carlo J. Caparas, L’s one of my major influences because of his sound advice). This guy is one thinking fellow. Aside from graduating in UP-Diliman with an engineering course, he took MBM in Asian Institute of Management. By the looks of it, he can be considered as a “GradS Tayo icon” (next to Brian May, Bill Cosby, Boots Anson-Roa, Tetchie Agbayani, etc)….hehehehe…whenever there is an animated event, he’s always there. Indeed, he REALLY supports the Filipino Comic industry by boosting the talents and by attending the events. Also, his Beerkada series is worth reading. I described it as meaty, or very substantial sprinkled with humor. Honestly, if not for Beerkada, I will not rekindle this old hobby (drawing comic strips).

This is Nick Barrameda (the left picture), the creator of Assorted NUTS. I find his comics simply funny. I described it as younger, comic strip, modern Filipino version of the show Friends. He’s a nice person to be with.

Asteeeeeeeeeg. That is the favorite line in the comic strips compilation Kiko Machine (right side). I just happened to be in this picture with its creator, Manix Abrera. By the way, just for the info, Manix Abrera is also a band member of, yes, Kiko Machine band. Like other artists I have met, he’s quite down-to-earth.

This is Ariel Atienza, creator of Class and West Side. I consider him my mentor. He taught how to improve my humor in comics. He also taught me how to make own drawing better. He’s the one who encouraged me to take a plunge into publishing my work indie style. Thus, I took my hat off for this fellow.

Komikon 2007 is such a happy and learning experience for me. I find it fulfilling when a person bought my work. It’s not the money, but the appreciation of my work. I can now consider myself as an independent artist. I really thank God for giving this experience. I also thank those people who supported the independent Filipino artists (like me). This may sound like a cliché, but the Filipino Comic Industry is very much alive. Our government should have the political will to tap and support the RIGHT people on this.

To the organizers of Komikon, keep it the good work!

1 comment:

azrael said...

haahaah thanks!!!!!!

nice shirt !!!!!