Tuesday, October 23, 2007

About Kathy Griffin's "punchline"...

Let me show you a Reuters article the caught my attention. In fact, even before I saw this, I saw similar articles at www.yahoo.com. yesterday (October 22).

http://www.reuters.com/article/televisionNews/idUSN1144512920070911

Okay, let me tell you what my stand about this as a Baptist Christian: if you’ll read Exodus 20:7, one should not take God’s name in vain. That means don’t use God’s name in not-so-serious matters, including jokes. This verse is also applicable in saying a promise, using God’s name, then at the end you’ll not fulfill it. If you’ll follow this verse deeper, using God’s name in vain also includes saying God’s name as a curse or a word used when we’re surprised by someone. My stand as a Christian is that Kathy Griffin did just that. She used the name of Jesus as one of her menu to her stand-up antics.

Don’t get me wrong, I like watching stand-up comedians/comediennes. I’m fairly a good sport when it comes to their jokes. However, the Bible is loud and clear not to use God’s name in vain. Okay, I know people reading this will this accuse me of being “right wing” of sort. I’m just stating my Biblical stand of the issue. Besides, some are saying that Griffin is just exercising her freedom of speech. Thus, I’m also exercising it the way she exercised hers.

Why is it that Jesus’ name is used in jokes and so-called Christians are laughing the matter or even defending those who used it? No wonder my Muslim schoolmates back in my undergraduate years call Christianity a “blasphemous religion”. Those so-called Christians don’t react or, the more positive one, respond to this. Instead, there are those who laugh. Make fun of Buddha, Allah, Brahma, and Felix Manalo, let’s see what will the Buddhists, Muslims, Hindus, and INC members will do to you.

I don’t care if you’re a “backslidden” brother/sister or “disgruntled/rebel” former Bible man/woman or a “church kid gone wild” or a “Christian school graduate eager to go bad after graduation”. Christians have failed in their Christian lives, one way or the other, public or private. However, that’s not an excuse not to express what a Christian stand about this matter.

The other side of the issue:

However, I understand Kathy Griffin regarding this matter. She’s a stand-up comic. She’s making fun, not necessarily of Jesus, but to those Award winners who use the name of Jesus, or God, as part of their “Thank you” speech. They use Jesus’ name as if it’s part of the format of the thank you speech (like a colon after a salutation of the business letter). In other words, I don’t know, but using God’s name in thank you speeches in awards (Emmy, Oscar, Golden Globe, etc.) is sounding superficial (euphemism applied) lately. Maybe, just maybe, that’s what Kathy Griffin’s punch line is after.

This should be a wake-up for people calling themselves “Christians”. If you were asked to pray publicly, you must pray sincerely. Pray from your heart. If you’re thanking God when you won an award, or made your acceptance speech, make sure to thank God and mean it.

I admit though, I’m guilty sometimes in these matters. Like I said, this is a wake-up.
According to sources, Kathy Griffin is an atheist, but raised a Catholic. If the sources are right, she’s just expressing her belief as an atheist, how about we Christians? Shall we just hide?

If we are saying that we are true Christians, the one who accepted Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior, let’s say boldly that the only way to be saved is by admitting one’s sins, repenting from them, accepting Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior.

Christians should take advantage of this freedom of speech.

No comments: